- Provision of higher educational opportunities for the people of Nigeria as well as others who seek and can attain self-fulfillment through higher education and learning.
- Promotion and enhancement of the talents and skills in all fields of human endeavour particularly those relating to science, technology, industry, agriculture and the humanities.
- Equipping its students with the knowledge and skills Necessary for them to be able to participate at all levels, in every aspect of the life of the nation including technological, political, social, economic and cultural; and provision of education for responsible and responsive leadership.
- Promoting the development of the nation in all aspects and contributing to national integration, and development and self-reliance.
- Cooperating with and assisting various departments of government in their programmes for the development of’ the nation.
- Promoting research as service to society in finding solutions to its problems, and also as a means of enhancing intellectual development and confidence.
- Enhancing excellence in teaching, learning and public Services.
- To foster the advancement of learning and to hold out to all persons without distinction of race, sex or political conviction, the opportunity of acquiring higher and liberal education.
- To provide course of instruction and other faculties for the pursuit of learning in all its branches, and to make those facilities available on proper terms to such persons as are equipped to benefit from them.
- To relate its activities to the social and economic needs of the people of Nigeria.
- To undertake any other activities appropriate for a University of the highest standard